Sustainable weddings are becoming increasingly popular as couples seek to reduce their impact on the environment and support meaningful causes. One of the key ways to achieve a sustainable wedding is by choosing a sustainable wedding venue. In this blog post, we'll explore some of the ways in which wedding venues can be sustainable, provide some tips for couples who are looking for a sustainable wedding venue, and some venue suggestions by region.
photo: Style & Story Creative | venue: Franklin Park Conservatory | planning: Thyme & Details | beauty: Le Rêve Makeup & Hair | dress: La Jeune Mariee | menswear: Generation Tux | rings: Diamond Cellar
What is a sustainable wedding venue?
Sustainability is loosely defined and can be subjective (based on opinion). One definition is the balancing of people, profit, and planet (or environmental, social, and economic matters). Therefore, a sustainable wedding venue is one that has taken steps to reduce its impact on the environment, provides a broader service to society, and is priced equitably. I always say – it's about making an effort, not about perfection! A sustainable wedding venue is putting in the effort to do better.
Choosing a sustainable wedding venue has a number of benefits. Firstly, it helps to reduce the environmental impact of your wedding, which is an important consideration for many couples. Secondly, it can help to support local businesses and communities, as sustainable venues often source supplies locally. Finally, it can help to create a unique and memorable wedding experience for you and your guests, as sustainable venues often have a distinctive character and charm.
As you compare venues, consider the ways that the venues on your list are making an effort (remember people, profit, planet)! Here are some tips to help you compare venues...
photo: Red Gallery Photography | venue: Franklin Park Conservatory | planning: Thyme & Details | florals: Something Borrowed Blooms
5 Tips for Choosing a sustainable wedding venue
If you're looking for a sustainable wedding venue, here are some tips to help you find the right location. Consider:
1. Waste reduction – is this venue providing a service to the environment by composting and recycling? Do they source furniture responsibly or support local artisans in the community as opposed to mainstream retailers?
2. Transparency – does this venue openly share ways they incorporate sustainability into their business?
3. The Property – how is the land being used? Is the building environmentally conscious? Think LEED certified, electrically powered by renewable energy, etc.
4. Community Service – is this venue providing any benefits or services to the greater community? Non-profit venues are gold for this! Think art museums, conservatories, historical buildings, etc.
5. Weekday Use – what else is the venue used for? Is the venue in business to primarily host weddings on the weekends, while sitting vacant during the week, all while priced at a premium?... that doesn't sound as equitable as other options out there, does it?
Looking for some suggestions? Here ya go!
Our favorite, sustainable venues in Columbus, OH, USA
Stay tuned for an expanded list of venues across the USA and abroad!
photo: Style & Story Creative | venue: Franklin Park Conservatory | planning: Thyme & Details | DJ: Josh Staley Productions | beauty: Le Rêve Makeup & Hair | dress: La Jeune Mariee | menswear: Generation Tux | rings: Diamond Cellar | florals: Something Borrowed Blooms | dance instruction: My Dance Edge
In conclusion, choosing a sustainable wedding venue is an important step toward creating a wedding that is memorable, affordable, and meaningful. By following these tips, you can find a venue that not only contributes to the greater good but creates a unique and unforgettable wedding experience for you and your guests as well!